What kind of drive are you using in your computer? Is it a traditional hard drive or a solid state drive? This article will look at solid state drive and expose some vital knowledge about it, which will increase the possibility of data recovery on solid state drive.
As we all know, in the past, the traditional hard drive, namely mechanical drive, was preferred by an overwhelming majority of users, due to its large storage and low price. However, with the advent of solid state drive, more and more people begin to select this new type of hard drive. Not only can it be immune from mechanical issues, but also it performs much better than the traditional drive. Even so, it isn’t flawless. Both types of drives can suffer data loss for various reasons. In this case, data recovery must be the most urgent requirement. One of the most common ways in data recovery is to apply potent recovery software, such as Outlook PST recovery tool. Now we will discuss the data recovery on solid state drive in detail.
Data Loss Can Occur to Solid State Drive Frequently
Although solid state drive has many advantages over traditional hard drive, data loss still can occur to it constantly. In general, the most common reasons for data losses on solid state drive can be concluded into the followings.
- Human Errors: This refers to manual incorrect operations, such as mistaken drive formatting, accidental deleting files and so on.
- Drive Damages: Even though solid state drive is far more stable than common hard disk drive, it still can be corrupt, such as water, fire damage and excessive pressure, etc.
- Virus Infection: If your PC gets contracted by viruses, the drive will suffer too. In such cases, the data can be corrupt and lost.
- Lost Partition: It means that one of the partitions on the solid state drive gets lost. In this scenario, the data on this partition will surly disappear.
In a nutshell, for multiple reasons, data loss is a common trouble for solid state drive. So data recovery is also a frequent demand for solid state drive.
TRIM Can Turn Data Recovery on Solid State Drive into a Dream
Solid state drive has a good feature – TRIM, which aims to improve the computer performance. But it also has downsides. Generally speaking, when you delete any files, operating system will remove the file index only. The files will be thoroughly cleared until you write new data to the drive to take up the place where the deleted files were. But, with the TRIM, deleted files will be immediately removed without waiting for new data. So, from this perspective, compared with the traditional hard disk drive, data recovery on solid state drive is much more complex and difficult. Sometimes, at worst, data recovery may be impossible due to overwriting data by TRIM.
Is Data Recovery Totally Impossible on Solid State Drive?
Therefore, faced with the TRIM and many other unknown reasons, many people are afraid of selecting a solid state drive for data storage and think data recovery on solid state drive is nearly impossible. But actually it depends.
- If data loss happens due to accidental deletion, such as pressing “Delete” key button, the files will be still stored in computer Recycle Bin. You can check it. If fortunately, you will get back some useful files.
- In addition, there are some operating systems that don’t support the TRIM. It means that if your computer operating system doesn’t support TRIM, even though the drive comes with this feature enabled, it won’t be able to work. In this case, data recovery on solid state drive will be the same easy as the traditional hard drive.
- Lastly, data recovery industry is constantly developing. Data recovery is also becoming increasing easy. Thereby, if you have no idea about it, you can take recourse to data recovery professionals. Nothing is impossible!
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair corrupt SQL mdf and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com