To better manage longer document, you can create a master document, which contains links to other subdocuments. Follow this article to learn how.
Sometimes, we need to develop a number of smaller documents, and then combine them together into a larger file. And a classic example is combining chapters in a novel. Previously, we have talked about a tricky way in How to Merge Multiple Word Documents into one”.
In this article, we will introduce how to create a master document, which can link to a set of other subdocuments. However, we do not insert the content in individual subdocuments into the main document. As the master document contains only a couple of links to the subdocuments. Thus, this feature allows users to edit the subdocuments separately. And if you make any modifications any of subdocuments, they will be incorporated into the master document automatically, and vice versa.
Create a Master Document with Links to Subdocuments
A master document will consist of a number of links to its subdocuments. And follow these links, you can open the subdocument to which the master document is linked.
- First of all, go to “View” tab on the ribbon.
- And then click on “Outline”, in the “Document Views” group.
- Click “Show Document” button, in the “Master Document” group. And then select “Insert”.
- A dialog box comes up, and click to select the document file that needs to be inserted. And then click “Open”.
- In the following window, which asks if you want to rename the style in the subdocument, click “No to all”.
- In this way, the first subdocument has been successful inserted into the master document. To hide the content inside the subdocument, you can just double click at the folder, as the follow picture shows.
- Repeat the steps above, until you have added all the documents that you want to insert.
- Switch back to “Print Layout” page, you can see that in the master document, we have incorporated all the subdocument into it. Finally, you can save the file and close it.
- Open the master file again. Word displays only a link the corresponding subdocument. To follow the link, just press “Ctrl” and click on it, you will reach that subdocument.
- Next, if you want to edit the subdocuments in the master document, just click on “Outline” again, and then click “Show Document” button.
- Click on “Collapse Subdocuments”. Now you can edit the subdocuments here, and then save the changes if you want.
Retrieve Your Data in Quick Time
All in all, by creating a master document and subdocuments, we can manage our document libraries better . Yet, you may encounter data losses when working on your Word. But do not panic, as you can take the assistance of a powerful and specialized utility to repair word. This tool can scan the corrupted file, and restore maximum data possible.
Kelly Zhao is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com