“General failure” usually pops up when you click a link in Outlook emails. This article will help you to get rid of the annoying error message.
Many people think that this “General failure” is an Outlook internal error pertaining to hyperlinks. However, actually this error is involved with Internet Browser, especially Firefox Browser. Now let’s eliminate it to the ground.
Reset Internet Explorer as Default Browser
In most situations, resetting Internet Explorer may be the most favored solution. Moreover, you can accomplish it from the perspectives of Internet Explorer and “Control Panel”.
- Firstly, in Internet Explorer, click “Tools” icon > “Internet Options” > “Advanced” tab > “Reset” button in sequence.
- Secondly, in “Control Panel”, head to “Programs” > “Default Programs” > “Set Programs Access and Defaults”. Then in the popup window, select “Custom” and set “Choose a default web browser” to “Internet Explorer” instead of original “Use my current Web browser”.
Note: After setting IE as the default browser, you may need to reboot your computer to fix the errors. In addition, if you still prefer to use external browser, you can change the default browser after verifying the error has gone away.
Modify Relevant Registry Values
In case you are using Firefox and the above method doesn’t make sense, you have no choices but to modify relevant registry values.
- For a start, close Outlook and the current using browsers.
- Then search “regedit” in “Start Menu”.
- Press “Enter” to open Registry Editor.
- Next, you should browse to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT” > “FirefoxURL” > “shell” > “open” > “ddeexec”.
- In the right pane, double click the “Default” value. And in the new popup dialog box of “Edit String”, you should delete the value data, which by default may be “%1” and so on.
- After that, click “OK” and close Registry Editor.
- Finally restart your computer and Outlook to check if the error vanishes.
Make Best Efforts to Eliminate Outlook Errors
Unquestionably, all applications cannot escape occasional errors. The same holds true for Outlook. At times, restarting Outlook can do away with errors. However, in order to avert the situation that the same errors show up again, you have to make efforts to figure out their roots and try to eradicate them. If you have no idea, you could also take recourse to ScanPST to solve those small glitches. If it also fails, a more reliable repair tool is demanded, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair. It can fix Outlook errors and repair Outlook file in quick time.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com