Most of the work will relate to many different types of files. In this article, we will show you how to insert objects into your Excel worksheet to connect files.
When you are working on a task, you will certainly use many different types of files. For example, you will use Excel to analyze data and information. And you will use the PowerPoint to demonstrate some research results. Besides, there are many other types of files. Actually you can connect Excel files with other types of files by inserting objects. You can follow the parts below and see how it works.
Insert Objects into Excel Worksheet
In this example, we will use a PowerPoint file as an object. The image below shows two different types of files. And now we will connect these two files.
- Open the Excel file.
- And then click the tab “Insert” in the toolbar.
- After that, click the button “Object”. Next you will see the “Object” window pop up.
- In this step, click the tab “Create from File” in the window.
- After that, click the button “Browse”.
- In the “Browse” window, choose the path of the target file.
- And then click the target PowerPoint file.
- Next click the button “Insert” in the window.
- Now you will come back to the worksheet. There are two options that you can choose. Here we choose the first option “Link to file”. Thus, whenever you modify the original files, the object in Excel will also update.
- After that, click the button “OK” to save the setting. Thus, the PowerPoint file will appear in the worksheet.
Because we haven’t checked the option “Display as icon”, the first page of the PowerPoint will appear in the worksheet. If you check the option, you will see the icon of the PowerPoint instead of the page in the worksheet.
Use the Object in Excel
When you have inserted the object into Excel, you can use it directly in the worksheet.
- Right click the object in the worksheet.
- And then move your cursor on the option “Presentation Object”.
- In the sub menu, choose the option “Show”.
You can also double click on the object to show the file.
Thus, the PowerPoint file will show in your computer.
- Except for showing the file, you can also edit it. Choose the option “Edit” or “Open” in step 3. Thus, you can edit it directly.
By using this feature, you don’t need to spend time on finding the path and then open it.
Update the Object
If you check the option “Link to file” for the object, you need to pay more attention on your Excel files. The next time you open your Excel file, you will see this window pop up:
If you have updated your PowerPoint file and want to update in Excel, you can choose the option “Update”. But if you don’t want to update it, you can choose the “Don’t Update”.
On the other hand, if you haven’t checked the “Link to file”, you will never see this message when you open the Excel file.
Data Recovery is not an Easy Process
When you find that your Excel corrupts, you will certainly try to exit it and then open it again. In many circumstances, you can solve the problem. However, some errors will still exist in the Excel files. And now you may meet with an Excel corruption. The process of data recovery is not such easy as you may think. Therefore, don’t try to recovery it by yourself. You need to repair corrupted Excel data by using Excel recovery tool or turn to experienced experts for help.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair Word docx document problem and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com