With the increasing popularity of PDF files not just on the Internet but also in sharing and transferring information within the office, the idea of having a paperless office may finally be turning into a reality. Our article looks at the advantages of a paperless office and how PDF files prove helpful in the process.
For many of us who have always worked with papers in our workplace, the idea of having a paperless office may be shocking not to mention unrealistic. However, unknowingly though it maybe, we have all become part of the process to reduce the amount of paper that is being used in office nowadays. By using documents to share information and email to transfer the information, we are transferring more and more data from paper to electronic documents. In this context, PDF files are proving to be the most popular standard for storing and managing this information. They offer perfect document fidelity, are secure, easy to share and it is very easy to repair PDF files if they do get corrupted.
Let us first understand what the advantages of a paperless office are –
- Instead of having people file documents in the traditional way by using hard copy files, it is a lot easier and cheaper to file PDF files on the computer.
- All the hard files have to be stored in an easily accessible place and the number of files is only going to keep increasing. PDF files do not require physical storage and external storage devices now make archiving a lot easier.
- Not using paper will lead to reduced destruction of trees and go a long way in saving our environment.
- Advanced repair tools developed by vendors, such as DataNumen PDF Repair from DataNumen make it easy to repair PDF files if they are suspected of damage due to software or hardware failures as well as if they are corrupted due to virus or other malicious attacks.
- If you take regular backups of your files and ensure that they are stored in multiple locations, even if there is any accident such as a fire, natural disaster such as earthquakes or if your office gets vandalized, you can stay rest assured that all your PDF files and the information contained in them will be safe.
- PDF files have different security mechanisms to ensure that only authorized persons can access the files, print them, copy them or make any changes in them.
- Finally, and most importantly, it is very easy to search through a large amount of data contained in the PDF files and find any specific information that the user is looking for. Compare this with the time that it would take for a person to sort through, search and then find the information needed in hard files.
There is no doubt that the traditional way of filing paper documents in hard files was inefficient, more expensive in terms of the space it took to store them, expensive in terms of the staff that was needed to manage them and expensive to store for a long term. On the other hand, it is easy to convert any paper document into a PDF file by simply scanning and storing it or by converting any electronic document into a PDF file. These will make any office more efficient and by keeping a copy of DataNumen PDF Repair handy, one can quickly repair PDF files, ensuring that all the information stays protected.