Outlook will only auto mark the incoming items in the mail folders as unread. It can’t recognize and mark the new meetings in calendar folders as unread. If you long for such feature, you can utilize the method introduced in this article.
In earlier Outlook versions, users are allowed to mark a calendar item as unread, no matter an appointment or meeting. But, in the recent versions, this feature is abandoned. However, many users still hope that they can mark the new incoming meetings in the calendar as unread. Now, in the followings, we will teach you how to make Outlook auto accomplish it with VBA.
Auto Mark Incoming Meetings as Unread
- To start with, launch your Outlook program.
- Then, in its main window, press “Alt + F11” key buttons to access VBA editor.
- Next, in the new “Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications” window, you need to open an unused module.
- Subsequently, you have to copy the following VBA code into this module.
Sub MarkIncomingMeetingsAsUnread(objItem As MeetingItem) Dim objMeetingInvitation As Outlook.MeetingItem Dim objMeeting As Outlook.AppointmentItem If TypeOf objItem Is MeetingItem Then 'Get the incoming meeting invitation Set objMeetingInvitation = objItem 'Get the corresponding meeting of the incoming meeting invitation Set objMeeting = objMeetingInvitation.GetAssociatedAppointment(True) 'Mark as unread objMeeting.Unread = True objMeeting.Save End If End Sub
- After that, you can exit the current window by clicking on the “X” icon in the upper right corner.
- Later, you’ll be required to create a rule for running this script. Just follow the steps shown below:
- First off, head to “File” menu.
- Then tap on the “Manage Rules & Alerts” button.
- In the new window, click on the “New Rule…” button.
- Next, in the first screen of “Rules Wizard”, select “Apply rule on messages I receive” and hit “Next”.
- Then, ignore the condition and click “Next”.
- In the rule action section, you should select “Run a script”.
- Later, hit the “a script” in the “Step 2” box.
- Now, in the new small dialog box, choose the previously added script.
- After that, click “OK” and “Next”.
- Ultimately, follow the onscreen instructions to finish the rule setup.
- Afterwards, you have to check your Outlook macro security settings, insuring that the script is enabled.
- From now on, each incoming meeting in the calendar folder will be marked as unread automatically, like the screenshot below:
Extract Data from Damaged PST Files
So as to avoid vexing Outlook errors and data loss, it’s advisable to make regular data backups for your Outlook file. It’ll contribute a lot to future Outlook recovery when inbuilt repair tool fails. Of course, it is also prudent and essential to keep a top-of-the-line external repair tool handy, like DataNumen Outlook Repair. It will come to your rescue in the event of backup fails.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql fix and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com