Generally, spell check will auto run as you type. It’ll only show errors in underline of different colors. This post will teach you to let Outlook ask you if to check spelling & grammar before sending an email and auto run spell check after you confirm it.
To manually check spelling and grammar when editing an email, you can switch to “Review” tab and click on the “Spelling & Grammar” button, which will display a dialog box that will list out the errors and suggestions. If you wish that Outlook can ask you if to run spell check before an email is sent out, you can use the way introduced in the followings.
Auto Check Spelling and Grammar before Sending an Email
- At the very outset, launch your Outlook application.
- Then, press “Alt + F11” key buttons in the main Outlook window.
- Next, the “Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications” window will display.
- In this window, you ought to find the “ThisOutlookSession” project on the left side and open it.
- Subsequently, copy the following VBA code into this project window.
'Occurs before sending email Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean) Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem Dim objMailDocument As Word.Document Dim objWordApp As Word.Application Dim strMsg As String Dim nAnswer As Integer If TypeOf Item Is MailItem Then Set objMail = Item Set objMailDocument = objMail.GetInspector.WordEditor Set objWordApp = objMailDocument.Application 'Ask you if to spell check strMsg = "Do you want to spell check the email right now?" nAnswer = MsgBox(strMsg, vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Spell Check") If nAnswer = vbYes Then 'Start spell check If objWordApp.Options.CheckGrammarWithSpelling = True Then objMailDocument.CheckGrammar Else objMailDocument.CheckSpelling End If End If End If End Sub
- After that, you have to sign this macro for security.
- Later, close the current window.
- Next, head to “File” > “Options” > “Trust Center” > “Trust Center Settings” > “Macro Settings”. In the new screen, enable digitally signed macros.
- Eventually, restart your Outlook to activate the new VBA project.
- From now on, every time when you send an email, you will receive a message, asking if to run spell check, like the following screenshot:
- If there are any errors in this email, a “Spelling and Grammar” dialog box will display, which will list out the errors and suggestions for revision.
A Powerful Repair Tool Is a Matter of Necessity
Outlook comes prepacked with an inbuilt repair tool – Scanpst, but it cannot deal with severe issues in Outlook, like PST file damage, etc. Thereby, you’d better get hold of a much more cogent utility, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair. It is able to solve Outlook problems in a moment.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including damaged mdf and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com