By default, you cannot add custom search folders to Outlook Today window directly within Outlook. This article will teach you how to achieve it by a quick means.
As you can see, there are only three default mail folders that are listed in Outlook Today window. They are “Inbox”, “Drafts” and “Outbox” respectively.
If you would like to add some other mail folders, such as “Sent Items” or “Deleted Items”, etc., you can hit the “Customize Outlook Today” link in the top right corner and then press the “Choose Folders” button. However, you will find that search folders are unavailable in the “Select Folder” dialog box.
It is apparent that Outlook doesn’t support us to add our custom search folders to Outlook Today window. But we still can realize it by other means. That is to edit the Registry values. Read on to learn the elaborate steps.
Add Your Custom Search Folders to Outlook Today Window
- At the very outset, close Outlook properly and then head to “Start Menu”.
- Then you ought to type “regedit” in the search box or “Run” dialog box and press the “Enter” key button.
- Immediately, you will see a new popup dialog box of “Account Control”. In it, you need to select and click on “Yes” button.
- After that, in Registry Editor Window, you should browse to the following registry keys “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” > “Software” > “Microsoft” > “Office” > “<version>” > “Outlook” > “Today” > “Folders”.
Note: The “<version>” key is up to your actual Outlook version. Outlook 2010 is “14.0”. Outlook 2013 is “15.0”. And Outlook 2016 is “16.0”.
- After pitching on the “Folders” key, turn to the right pane. Now you should right click on the blank space and choose “New” > “String Value”.
- Name the new string value as the next number in order, such as “3”. Next double click on the new value and type your search folder path in the “Value Data” field, such as “Search Folders\Unread Mail”.
- Later click “OK” to save it and exit the Registry Editor.
- Eventually you can restart Outlook and access Outlook Today window. You will see that the search folders have been added.
Resolve Outlook Problems Timely
Without any doubts, the earlier Outlook problems get solved, the better Outlook will perform. Hence, you should learn some basic tips to cope with Outlook issue. In general, you can start Outlook in safe mode, disable faulty add-ins or repair Outlook misconfiguration, etc. Of course, if the errors are related to Outlook file, the above tricks will be helpless. You have to resort to a stellar Outlook error fix tool, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair SQL mdf db and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com