Some users complain a lot about the error message – “This memory card cannot be used”, which pops up when they take photos on their cameras. Now, in this article, we will introduce 5 simply solutions to it.
It must be very frightening that your camera unexpectedly throws out the error – “This memory cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card” when you are taking or viewing photos. It generally indicates that all of your photos or videos in this memory card are in danger of corruption and loss. Thereby, in this case, you have to recover the card data and fix this error as soon as possible. Now, thereinafter, we will share you 5 recommended solutions.
1. Run CHKDSK
Now that there is something wrong with the memory card, you need to firstly fix the potential issues. When it comes to repairing the problems of any data storage media, CHKDSK will occur to your minds in the first place. Well, you can try it by the following steps.
- First off, connect your memory card to your PC.
- After it gets detected, remember its drive letter.
- Then, launch Command Prompt via searching and running “cmd” in “Start Menu”.
- Next, in Command prompt window, input “chkdsk [card drive letter]: /r” and press “Enter”.
- After it finishes, type “exit” and tap “Enter”.
- Finally, try the card on your camera again.
2. Format Card
In addition, formatting can fix miscellaneous logical issues. Therefore, if you have backed up your card data before or don’t attach important to the card data, you can just format it.
- Connect the card to your PC as usual.
- Then, locate it in Disk Management tool.
- Next, right click it and choose “Format”.
- Later, select the right file system and click “Start”.
- Eventually, after it completes, you can retry to access it on camera.
3. Use Third Party Tool
Provided that you cherish your card data very much, you had better select to use specialized and reliable data recovery software instead of formatting it readily. In the process of software selection, you should beware of the ones from unknown sources or manufacturers. Those may cause further damage to your card, not to mention to recover it.
4. Consult Experts
Of course, software can only deal with the software-level problems. Thus, if your memory card is actually subject to hardware issues, you’re better off seeking help from professional data recovery companies. They usually have the experts who are well-versed in card recovery.
5. Replace Card
Last but not least, if the card is proved to be dying, you don’t need to spend time or energy recusing it any more. It is suggested to recover its data and then simply purchase a new card and restore data to the new, like PST recovery from backups on PC.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair sql and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com