In this post, we’d like to introduce you 4 quick methods which you can employ to select an entire section in your Word document.
Once in a while, you shall find yourself working on a lengthy document. Certainly, you will organize the file and arrange content position. Among them, section break is often used to separate 2 pieces of contents of different subjects.
Now let’s take a look at reasons to select an entire section:
- Do word count in a section. One section can last several pages, thus it takes time to select the section from the start to the end. We have no trouble understanding a quicker way is expected.
- Extract a section from a document. Sometimes, if you need to use the contents in a section for another purpose, to quickly export the texts shall remain your concern.
There are 4 methods coming.
Method 1: Use “Go To” Feature
- First off, put cursor at the start of the section and press “F8”.
- Then click “Home” tab.
- Next click the upside-down triangle button behind “Find”.
- On the drop-down menu, choose “Go To”.
- Now in the “Find and Replace” dialog box, under “Go To” tab, select “Section”.
- And leave the text box in blank then click “Next”.
You shall see the section is in selection.
Method 2: Apply Heading Style
- Firstly, add some marking letters or numbers at the head of the section you want to select and the one next to it. And you must apply the same level heading style to them. For example, in our case, we enter “1” and “2” at the beginning of section 1 and 2. Both 2 numbers are in “Heading 2” style.
- Then click “View” tab.
- Next click “Outline”.
- Now under “Outline” view, click on the plus sign before the adding number to select the target section.
Method 3: Select in “Navigation Pane”
- First and foremost, follow the first 2 steps in method 2.
- Only this time, check the “Navigation Pane” box.
- Then click “Browse the headings in your document”.
- Next right click on the target section and choose “Delete”.
- Now you will have the section deleted, but fear not.
- Immediately click the “Undo” command to bring the section back and it shall be in selection.
Method 4: Run Word Macro
- To start with, place insertion pointer inside a section and press “Alt+ F11” to trigger the VBA editor.
- Then under “Normal” project, click “Insert” and choose “Module”.
- Next double click on the new module to open the editing area.
- Then enter or paste the following codes:
Sub SelectASection() Word.Selection.Range.Sections.First.Range.Select End Sub
- Finally, click “Run”.
Now the exact section where your pointer is will be selected.
Go Back up Your Files
Word is susceptible to errors, yet most of us never see it coming in the first place. People feel panic only after files getting corrupted. If there is one thing that can prepare us for the surprise failure of Word, it is the backup. Without it, your last choice left is to get Word file error recovery software.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including Excel file error fix utility and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com