There are 4 quick methods in the article below enabling you to change the paragraph order in your Word document.
It happens all the time that we have to revise our Word document before make it go public. And it is during the process of revision where we will come across the issue of changing paragraph order. Sure thing, most of you can handle this in one way or another. But there are 4 ways available in this text, why not read on and see what you can benefit. After all, it will do you no harm to know more.
Method 1: Open Document in Outline View
- To begin with, your Word document should be in “Print Layout” view, by default. So you need to open it in “Outline” view. therefore, click “View” tab first.
- Then choose “Outline” in “Document Views” group.
- So now you document is in “Outline” view. And in “Outline Tools” group, there are two triangle buttons. They are “Move Up” and “Move Down” buttons to move the text up or down. For example, if we want to move the first paragraph here down, the first thing is to put the cursor anywhere in the first paragraph.
- Next, click “Move Down” button. And you can see the paragraph is selected and has changed its place.
- By the way, “Shift+ Alt+ Up arrow” is the keyboard shortcuts for “Move Up”, and “Shift+ Alt+ down arrow” for “Move Down”. So if you remember the shortcuts then you will be able to adjust the order in “Print Layout” view directly.
Check out the demonstration video below:
Method 2: Drag the Target Paragraph to a New Location
- First thing, select the target paragraph.
- Secondly left click and drag it to the new position.
Method 3: Paste the Target Paragraph to a New Location
- Still select the paragraph first.
- Then right click.
- Next on the list-menu, choose “Cut”. Or press “Ctrl+ X” in step 2 instead.
- Then place cursor at the new location.
- next right click again.
- Now choose one of the options of “Paste”. Or you can just press “Ctrl+ V” in step 5 instead.
Method 4: Sort Paragraphs
- Firstly, number paragraphs with numbers indicating their new order. For instance, if you need to move first paragraph to paragraph three, you should add “3” before paragraph one. Below is an example:
- Secondly, select all paragraphs need to change order.
- Then click “Home” tab.
- Next click “Sort” option in “Paragraph” group.
- In “Sort Text” dialog box, choose “Paragraphs” in “Sort by” list box.
- Then check “Ascending”.
- Next, click “OK”.
- Now you can view the change of paragraph order. Then you can delete the numbers.
|Method 1: Open Document in Outline View||1. You don’t have to select the paragraph.
2. If you can remember the shortcuts, you can directly change the order in “Print Layout” view.
3. You can place cursor anywhere in a paragraph, for it moves up or down in paragraph unit.
4. Paragraph length won’t affect the result.
|1. You have to open document in “Outline” view first.
2. If you want to change the order in “Print Layout” view, you have to remember the keyboard shortcuts.
|Method 2: Drag the Target Paragraph to a New Location
& Method 3: Paste the Target Paragraph to a New Location
|You can directly change the paragraph order in “Print Layout” view.||1. You have to select paragraphs.
2. Sometimes you have to press “Enter” after or before another paragraph to make room for the target paragraph.
3. When apply to a long paragraph, you have the risk to mess up your document.
4. You cannot place cursor anywhere you like.
|Method 4: Sort Paragraphs||1. You can directly change the paragraph order in “Print Layout” view.
2. Paragraph length won’t affect the result.
|1. You have to select paragraphs.
2. You have to delete numbers at last.
3. No need to remember shortcuts.
Handle Corrupted Files
Certainly you may get a corrupted file but that does not mean the end of the World. Actually, you are always encouraged to use tool to retrieve your files. Because a professional doc document error repair tool can save you much energy.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including xls repair utility and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com