Excel has many similar features that are actually designed for different cases. And today we will introduce the features of 3 ways to search contents in Excel.
When you have finished your Excel file, you will always come back and find some certain information. However, in most cases, you couldn’t remember the location of the target. Therefore, here we have the sample of student scores to present the ways to search contents.
Using Find Feature
- First, press the shortcut key “Ctrl + F”.
- Then in the pop-up window, input the student name.
- And then click the “Find Next” button. And then the cursor will position to the cell of “Paul”.
And now you know where Paul is. And his student number and his scores can be seen.
Using MATCH Function
And if you want to know the exact student number of a student, you can also try this way.
- First, click a blank cell.
- Then input the formula: =MATCH(“Paul”, B2:B31,0). And the area “B2:B31” should be your real target area in your actual worksheet.
- Then press the key “Enter”. And then the function will return a value in the cell. And it shows “10”.
And Paul’s student number is 10. And you can get the number immediately. Besides, you can move to the cell to check whether the result is right.
Using VLOOKUP Function
- Forst click a blank cell.
- Then input the formula: =VLOOKUP(“David”,B2:C31,2,FALSE). And in this formula, the area B2:C31 is selected. And the C column is the math scores. And the “col_index_num” is 2 in this area. So the return value will be in the column C. What’s more, if you want to know other scores, you should select a larger area and change the “col_index_num”.
- Then press the key “Enter”. And then Paul’s math score will appear in the cell.
Actually, the 3 methods focus on different cells. And below is the contrast of the three methods:
|Find Feature||MATCH Function||VLOOKUP Function|
|Launch method||UI operation||Formula or VBA||Formula or VBA|
|Result||Cursor will be located at the found cell||Relative Position of the matched cell||Value corresponding to the matched cell|
And in your actual worksheet, you may choose the method according to your need.
Ways to Excel file corruption
The function of Excel is very powerful. However, it will easily give in to virus, malware and many other reasons that will damage Excel. And you can use third party software to fix Excel files. And this tool can retrieve most of your important information.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including word recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com
Leave a Reply