Excel can help us to do many complex tasks. And the features in Excel can indeed save us a lot of time. Therefore, today we will explore the methods to sum values that meet certain conditions.
In an Excel file, you will certainly use some features to help your work. However, if you obtain no idea of some of the tips, you need to spend a lot of time to finish your task. And as for calculating the sum of certain values, you can use today’s two ways to finish this goal. In the image below, you can see that there are different employees with their sales performance.
And if you want to sum up the numbers of certain people or certain product, you can also use the following two methods.
Method 1: Pivot Table
- Click the “Insert” tab in the ribbon.
- Then click the button “PivotTable”. And you will see a new window.
- In this window, select the range that you need to use. And input the cell number into the first text box.
- Now you need to choose where you want the table be replaced. You can either choose to create a new worksheet or place it in the existing sheet. And here, we choose to create a new table.
- Then click “OK” and you have set a new pivot table.
- If you want to calculate the sales volume of each person, you can choose the “Name” and the “Sold Number” in the right list. And then a table will appear in the worksheet.
You can clearly see the corresponding number of different people. And if in your actual worksheet, there are many people, you can also use the filter function to see the sales volume of each person. Besides, you can also choose the product and see their sales volume.
Method 2: SUMIF Function
The SUMIF function allows you to set certain criteria into formulas. Thus, you can also sum up the values that can meet with certain conditions.
- Click a blank cell where you want to put the result in.
- Input the formula into the cell:
You can also change the name to other people. On the other hand, if you want to know the values of certain product, you can adjust the formula into this:
=SUMIF(B2:B16,”Excel Repair”, C2:C16)
Of course you need to change the area and the actual name according to your real need.
Avoid Potential Risks to Excel Files
Even if you have installed the antivirus software in your computer, the security of Excel files are not 100% guaranteed. Therefore, once your Excel files get corrupt, you should try to retrieve the data as soon as possible. Here a third party tool can help you finish this task. It is designed to fix Excel files, and if has already been used in many companies.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including word recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com