In this article, we will offer 2 quick ways for you to select texts vertically in your Word document.
Needless to say, we all know how to select texts on which we can conduct whatever operations we need. Yet, most of time, we can only select texts in a horizontal way. The truth is we do have the need to select texts vertically. For instances, here are some occasions when you would like to apply these methods.
- Firstly, to remove unnecessary indents. We copy and paste texts all the time. Now imagine you’ve just pasted lines of codes on your Word document, and you find there are many unnecessary indents, as shown below:
Obviously, to remove them by pressing “Backspace” key is too tiresome and will certainly kill your patience. However, with the tricks to vertically select all the indents, you can delete them in one move.
- Secondly, to select columns of data.
In the above example, what if you need to select the second and third columns only? The usual way will definitely fail your expectation. Again, you must know how to select texts vertically.
- Thirdly, to delete repeated texts. Another application of select texts vertically is to delete repeated useless words efficiently.
Having understood how important of being able to select texts vertically, you need to read the following 2 methods so as to apply them.
Method 1: Use the Powerful “Alt” Key
- First and foremost, place your cursor at the start of the text which you need to select.
- Then press “Alt” and hold on.
- At last, click and drag mouse to select the area of text.
Now here are possible results you can achieve, and you can delete or copy them as you need.
Method 2: Use keyboard Shortcuts
- Similarly, put your cursor at the beginning of the target text.
- Second, press “Ctrl+ Shift+ F8”. Now you will find your cursor turns into light blue.
- Next, you can click and drag your mouse to select text. Or you can also use the arrow keys to select words.
- Then carry out your business, be it deleting indents and texts or copying data in columns.
- Finally, when you finish, press “Esc” to exit the selecting vertically mode. And you can get the exact effect as in method 1.
Be Cool to Word File Corruption
To sum up, think about you finish a file which you spend hours in a row to create, and yet, due to some accidental factors such as power failure, you just lost it without having the chance to save it. Definitely, this probably will drive you crazy. Well, this is not the time you can lose your head. Instead what you need to do is stay cool and find a way to rescue your file. And among all the dazzling tools to repair Word data, you should not be blinded with the boasts of super high recovery rate. Rather, you should shop around and choose one you believe the best.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including xls error repair and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com